We encountered many problems with technology, that we solved in different ways to ensure a good end result.
Use of Macs and PCs
One of our biggest problems was that we started off using both Macs and PCs. The way different editing programs saved files differed between the two devices, meaning that when we tried to transfer different sections from one to the other, the files would not open. We overcame this problem by transferring different shots and editing from the macs onto the PC. This took a lot of time, but helped, as we finally had all our production happening on the same style computers. If asked to do again in the future, i would definitely make sure we only used PCs as it simplifies post production an enormous amount considering we had three people working on the same thing.
The programs we used for our post production where:
- Adobe Flash - For animation of the title sequences and animation of text withing the title sequence.
- Adobe Photoshop - To produce the logo, and moving images in the title sequences
- Adobe Premier Pro - For our editing
- Final cut express - We tried using this for editing, but stopped due to its incompatibility with PCs
- iMovie - To convert files and view raw footage
The compatibility of Adobe programs with each other really helped in our production, as we could transfer different parts of our production from one platform to another (this may have used the program Adobe Bridge)
How we used new and old Internet technologies
Internet resources we used were:
- YouTube - To research music and similar films
- Slideshare - To produce animatic and storyboard.
- A Microsoft Silverlight slide show - Another animatic and storyboard program.
Our choice of camera was essential, as our film involved a wide variety of shots used in different ways.We chose a light, small handicam that shot in reasonably high definition. The camera was especially useful in the tracking shot, resulting in a product that looked authentic. We did have a problem with one of the tripods, resulting in slightly choppy panning shots, but this was replaced for different shots in order to keep them stable.
In conclusion, technology played a massive role in our film opening production, and we learnt a a great deal about it. There are definitely things we would do differently if asked to produce a similar film, but we are happy with the result achieved.